The Great Blue Heron (5N, 55-210+DH1758)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,153Gear list
Like?
The Great Blue Heron (5N, 55-210+DH1758)
8 months ago

Giving birds a go again - this time, from the wetlands rather than my backyard.  I wanted to stick with one magnificent species this time, the great blue heron - Earlier this month while out with the 5N and my 55-210mm + DH1758 combo, I had a few nice, close encounters with GBHs - one bathing in the water on a hot day, and several raising their young in their nests.  For those who love birds, especially the big wingspan waders:

An interesting example of light and angle - I first came upon this heron cooling off in the waters - he was sitting down low, and I was shooting towards the east, with the reflections of trees tinting the waters green

As I swung around to his south, now shooting towards the north, there were no more trees behind, so instead I got the clear blue skies reflected in the water's surface, and the light coming in more from the side on the bird for nice even lighting

A closer shot of the heron, as he cooled himself in the waters

It was then time for a bath - he dunked himself all the way down, then shook like a wet dog as he came back up

Turning to head to shore

Heading up to the shoreline, he continued to shake himself off vigorously

Meanwhile, back at the rookery...two very young baby herons were sticking out of their nest waiting for mom to return with some food

Some great blue heron nests hatched earlier, by as much as 3 weeks, so this baby heron is much larger than the last paid - here he sticks out his wings to get mom's attention, to give him some food

Two baby herons beg mom to bring up whatever she's got stored in her stomach - herons will regurgitate recently eaten fish for their babies to feed on back at the nest

Incoming - I was standing in the flight path of this heron's nest, and caught it as it approached me at full speed - it went just a few feet over my head as it came in to land for the nest

Comments, questions, critique welcomed as always.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow