Inaccurate ISO of Fujis commonly accepted now?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,958Gear list
Like?
Inaccurate ISO of Fujis commonly accepted now?
4 months ago

I keep on reading this on various forums but can't quite follow where the reviewers come from here, e.g. the latest in the dpreview review of the X-T1 where it states that the 6400 is more like 4000 on other systems. When you hear this "other systems" you might be mistaken that Fuji cheats and the rest of the world doesn't.

4000 vs 6400 is substantial! However, when I tried to verify this for myself comparing files of a variety of cameras I had and have access to, I can never quite find the massive difference the reviewers seems to find. There was somebody here who used a couple of Sekonic light meters some time ago and found a difference but not as substantial as some reviewers think - and that the standard is not quite as carved in rock as it might sound, e.g. there is Fuji and then there is the honest rest.

An example? I just looked at the little D3 versus X-T1, 85mm on the D3 versus the 56 on the X-T1.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53495264

The D3 uses F8 and 1/60s @ ISO200, the Fuji uses F5.6 and 1/110s. When you click the 2 images at screen view, the D3 seems to be underexposed by more than the diference between 1/110s and 1/120s.

If the 2/3 stop difference was true (as in the example by dpreview of 4000 vs 6400) then I wonder what's going on with the example re the D3.

I am aware that the ISO curve might not be linear!

Any ideas as to why this will now be engraved for life that Fujis cheat, but I can't really follow? I must be a fanboy, right?? Or maybe the D3 is cheating, some here might remember that the D3 used to be another example for a high ISO capable camera ...

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow