Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeorgeZZ
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
Finally got the new 20mm for my epl5.
5 months ago

I upgraded from a P&S to the epl5 half a year ago. Being a student, I don't want to spend too much on fancy lenses without the skill to make the most out of them. So I started with the kit lense and Oly40-150R. Now that I've learned the basics I decided it's time to own my first prime. I bought a de-kitted 20mm II for 1800RMB, or 290USD. It's not the cheapest prime or pancake, but it serve the most purposes. It's going to be my walk-around pancake, my low-light lens and my environmental portrait lens.

I don't think I need to comment on the IQ, so here's some thoughts on other aspects:

1. The focus is slow, but not slower than my old P&S, which I've used for years and not once complained about its focus speed. It hunts slower than the kit lens, but not more. So it requires a bit of patience, but at least the experience is not frustrating.

2. The aperture clicks loudly. Turning flicker reduction to off/auto for some reason solves this problem. Can anyone give me an explanation?

3. The lens mount is uncomfortably tight. I've heard this happens with em-10 but not with epl5. At least nothing seems to be scratched yet.

4. There is some banding at ISO3200 and above. But I wouldn't worry about it. It's only slightly more distracting than the noise at such ISO. Maybe I got lucky. Besides, with IBIS such high ISO is not needed if there is any light at all.

5. With the kit lens I mostly shoot at 14mm, but the 20mm felt natural too. It helps me to focus on the subject instead of just getting everything in. With a two time crop I can also use it as a 40mm f1.7 portrait lens that's good enough on my 1080p screen.

GeorgeZZ's gear list:GeorgeZZ's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
GeorgeZZ's score
Average community score
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow