Pulled the Trigger, Picking up a 6D kit this afternoon.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xhypno402
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Pulled the Trigger, Picking up a 6D kit this afternoon.
5 months ago

So after much internal and external deliberation I decided to pull the trigger this morning. I have purchased a brand new 6D w/ 24-105 f/4L.

I have not shot Canon since my second to last film camera and my recent experience with Nikon's customer service with my issues with a D600 I bought sold me on dropping Nikon.

I had the kit lens from with the D600 and a 50mm 1.8 only. I have a few DX lenses from with my D90, but they are of no matter.

I took this experience to jump ship back to Canon and now need a few recommendations.

I went with the kit as I got it for an almost steal and basically paid $275 for the lens, but I want to augment it a bit.

I shoot mostly family trips, landscape, and the occasional kids sporting event. (And maybe once every year or 2 an air show, but this kept me to the 6d instead of the 5d3 as I don't need the better af.)

I want to pick up a moderate reach telephoto and also a few good leans for shallow DOF shots as I like to use it in a lot of shots while traveling with the family.

What suggestions do you guys have as a whole? I am looking to spend about 2000-2500 on glass over the next 2 months but don't want to blow it all on just 1 lens. I also don't want something that is so heavy that when I take long trips over seas that would require a lot of walking would make me want to leave it at home or in the hotel.

What are the current thoughts on the Canon 70-200 f/4L IS USM?

What suggestions are there for zoom lens for shallow DOF? I would love a 70-200 f/28L II but they are just way to heavy for me to use while traveling with my Wife and 4 year old.

-Ph

xhypno402's gear list:xhypno402's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow