Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mactac
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
Carry options for a D800 plus a backpack
5 months ago

On my endless search for the holy grail of camera carry options, I thought I'd come across the perfect backpack (Lowepro flipside 15L) when carrying a medium amount of gear on hikes.

Now, I'm new to backpacks, and what I realized when I took it out for the first time was that you can't use a blackrapid style strap along with a backpack (since the strap crosses your back, and the backpack is in the way)

What are options for carrying a camera while also carrying a camera gear backpack? I like the backpack, because I can carry a bunch of extra lenses/gear, but also like to have the camera "on me" to be quickly available for some quick shots without having to get it out of the pack every time.

I took a look at the capture camera pro belt clip (that can also attach to a backpack strap), but it looks like it would be a bit awkward with heavier cameras/lenses.

I have a Nikon D800, and would typically have the 24-70 2.8 on it "walking around" on my blackrapid. I'd carry my 14-24, plus maybe my 105 micro, and a lensbaby or something, or a 70-200 2.8 and 14-24 plus extra gear in the backpack.

What does everyone else do for carrying a camera outside of a backpack? Any neat ideas? I'm hoping to find something that is comfortable for 2-3 hour hikes.

Has anyone tried the capture camera pro with a d800 or something similar and a moderately heavy lens like the 24-70 on a backpack strap?

mactac's gear list:mactac's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow