Minolta/Sony 100 f2.8 as a telephoto/portrait?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Moredsir
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
Minolta/Sony 100 f2.8 as a telephoto/portrait?
3 months ago

For an A77 or other APSC, has anyone used the 100mm f2.8 macro, particularly the Minolta RS, as a mid range telephoto and want to give their opinion?

From what I see on the Flickr pool it seems rather high in contrast and somewhat lacks color for anything other than close range, and even portraits are kinda contrasty compared to the 135/f2.8. The reviews on Dyxum suggest the 100/2.8 is great as a portrait and tele lens but no sample pics prove it to my eyes. This of course could be skewed by the photographers themselves, or perhaps the sharpness actually causes that, or perhaps just lack of longer range subjects from the macro guys to give a fair comparison. Or perhaps this is why the 100/2.8 soft focus existed?

Also wanting to know if Minolta RS version focuses fast enough as tele lens (does limiter help?), a lot of people seem to complain focus hunting on the 135, and if possible compared to Sony version. The Minolta is about $200 cheaper :/

I was going to go with the 135/2.8, and may still do so, but would love to have a macro+tele to cut down on gear.

135/2.8 Pool

100/2.8 Pool

Moredsir's gear list:Moredsir's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +1 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow