Resolution, pixel density and lenses: D800 vs. D610

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
danielbw
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Re: I'm late to answer this thread, but my thoughts are..
In reply to Jim Kaye, 5 months ago

Jim Kaye wrote:

I had a D800 already when the D600 came out, and given the shutter problem I'm glad I wasn't tempted to get one. But now that that seems to be resolved in the D610, I have sometimes wondered whether I'd be fine with somewhat lower resolution and would prefer the smaller body. Here's why I haven't switched (all little things, but they add up):

The D800 fits my hands better (and I don't have very large hands). I also have a D7100, which I usually use when I'm traveling because it's smaller/lighter (and that's worth the tradeoffs to me, especially since some of the equivalent AOV lenses are also smaller and lighter). The size/controls layout on the D7100 are quite similar to those of the D610. The Preview button on the D7100 is placed where I hit it accidentally too easily, so I don't assign any function to it, and its placement under my middle finger adds to the feeling that the grip is not quite deep enough for my hands. I don't like having the ISO button on the back where I find it harder to find and use with the camera to my eye than the position of the ISO button on top of the D800. I use the "OK" button on both the D7100 and D800 to magnify to mid-size during playback with one button press (and back), which I understand can't be programmed on the D610 (strange…this was a limitation on the D7000 that Nikon fortunately fixed in the D7100). And why the 1/200 sync speed on the D610? Every other Nikon DSLR I have owned in recent memory had a 1/250 sync speed. It just seems a senseless limitation (even though it's only a third of a stop difference), though maybe there is some engineering reason for it that I can't fathom...

Basically I know I enjoy using the D800 more than I would the D610, so I'm glad that's the one I have. Which is not to say that the D610 isn't a great camera and that many people won't be perfectly happy with it. (I'd probably be fine with it, too, if it were my only choice -- as I said, these things I've commented on are all pretty insignificant in the grand scheme.)

I haven't worried much about what the relative performance of my lenses on one or the other is or would be -- to me, the biggest difference is the available resolution, and it's good to have more pixels available when I need them.

-- hide signature --

Jim Kaye
'I believe that the electronic image will be the next major advance. Such systems will have their own inherent and inescapable structural characteristics, and the artist and functional practitioner will again strive to comprehend and control them.' -- Ansel Adams, 1981

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Jim!

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow