Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Emka
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Lens choice: SEL1670 vs. SEL20 vs. SEL1855
4 months ago

I could need your help deciding which lens combination is best for me.

I already have the SELP1650, the SEL55210, the SEL35 and some old manual Minolta lenses for my NEX-6.

The SEL35 is my favorite lens so far, totally happy with its IQ, handling and low-light-ability. I use it as my main lens, the lens I usually start my shootings with unless I need a different focal length or more bokeh etc. Since I have this lens the powerzoom is used less and less often, partly also due to the fact that I am spoiled by the feeling and handling of my "non-power" lenses and the old Minoltas. But there are situations where the SEL35 is just too narrow or where I need more flexibility (say because I'm on a trip with friends who don't want to wait for me to change lenses too often).

And that's where YOU come in ... I'm not sure which of the following lenses would fit my needs best:

a) SEL1670z: great FL for my shooting habits (zoom mostly used for travel or events photography, primes for architecture, landscape and nature close ups), could give me the manual quality feel I miss when using the powerzoom, but it has received disappointingly mixed feedback on the Internet as far as I could see. Is it really worth the investment taking all the criticism into account?

b) SEL20: since I like using primes this could be a good addition to the SEL35 when I need something wider (e.g. city scenes, landscape) or something faster than the kitzoom, could get it used for a decent price, but does it really give me something I don't already have with the SELP1650? Sure, I can also carry the SELP1650 as a quasi-pancake wide angle; How much better is its IQ?

c) SEL1855: don't laugh, but I'm also considering the old kit lens because when I tried it in a store I actually liked it's more traditional look and feel, in black it also makes a charming combo with my NEX-6. Could be the more "pleasing" lens for situations where I need a zoom, e.g. travel with friends, where the extra 7.5mm (35mm equivalent) are also welcome. But will I really benefit from spending these 100€ for something with basically the same specs than my powerzoom?

So, what are your suggestions? what would you choose? Is there another option I totally overlooked?

Emka's gear list:Emka's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow