m4/3 native, AF, standard lens for evening/night street photography?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PeaceKeeper
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
m4/3 native, AF, standard lens for evening/night street photography?
7 months ago

So, I finally purchased an m4/3 system, the oh-so-entry level G5, and have spent the last few months playing with the kit lens and adding to my previously modest collection of Hexanon lenses that I had from my old 35mm T4.

Currently I'm sitting on a pile of FF primes from a 21mm f4, to a 200mm 3.5, and most everything in between(currently in negotiations for a 57mm f1.2 excited). Shockingly, none of this has cost any real money yet. But as fun as this legacy MF nonsense is, it really doesn't suit my next self-challenge. Street photography, at night/evening.

While I can certainly pre-focus one of my old MF lenses and click away happily in the daytime, the need to slow down and precisely focus at lower apertures is a severe handicap in low light. Yeah, I could "get better" at MF, but the nature of the EVF is an added difficulty I don't really have the patience for. I'd rather let the camera deal with it. heh

I'm looking for anyone with experience with my particular cam(the G5), and a particular lens in reference to their combined performance for low light AF and general "shootability". I understand there are limitations on my camera, but was just wondering if anyone has found a sweet spot with any single lens for this type of shooting.

Ok, so in short: 50mm-ish eq FL, fast enough for hand held in low light, good AF performance in low light, all with a G5. And... go.

Oh, preferably not $1000.

PeaceKeeper's gear list:PeaceKeeper's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 Canon PowerShot SD1200 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow