ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
montygm
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Sony A7 & A7R aggressive noise reduction and focusing
5 months ago

Hi all,

Have been wanting to get my hands on either of these cameras for quite some time. Heard excellent reviews about image quality and detail regarding both. Being a Canon SLR 5D3 user with various  lenses…the weight of carrying all this gear is doing my shoulder and back in after an all day shoot. Ideally the A7's were a great lighter alternative. Decided to go into the city camera store and take a few test shots and must say I was a little let down in what I saw later on my computer. The image quality and exposure at first look on standard size computer view was admittedly quite impressive and stunning…beautiful colours and gorgeous DOF, nice exposure. Focusing was also much quicker than I anticipated given the reviews you hear about this. However when blown up to 100% and over, I found the detail started to look a little smeary and blotchy. I have read a few reviews that Sony are using quite strong in camera noise reduction to smooth out the grain and loss of detail is resulting. The image and subject matter itself is quite smooth looking and grain free. Also I was quite disappointed to see that out of all the hand held shots I took not one was sharp. Most looked slightly blurry and corners on shot came out the worst with the 35mm lens. Having shot jpg's and also Raw simultaneously…I decided to download the Sony image converter to see if the raw files in Photoshop later looked any better with noise reduction turned off. However I was quite surprised to see just how much visible noise there is with it turned off. I can see why they are applying the noise reduction in camera. I really had my heart set on getting the A7R but now I am not convinced. I have also downloaded a few of the Sony files from DP review and notice when you add sharpening even at low levels it makes the image look way over processed and not very natural. I was also curious as to what most people are using to convert the raw files as my experience with the Sony image converter was very slow and laborious regarding making adjustments. Also I couldn't see any batch conversion or setting were you can fix noise reduction and other adjustments for multiple images at once without manually doing one by one.

The Sony A7 cameras are beautiful cameras but as a walk around camera without wanting to take  a tripod with me I am not quite sure that most of the images will be keepers compared to my SLR.

Would like to here what your experience has been with these cameras.

-- hide signature --

Grace

montygm's gear list:montygm's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow