Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lobalobo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,840
Like?
DP Review Needs a Lesson (or I do)
8 months ago

In an article on the upcoming lunar eclipse, DPReview explains why a photo of a lit moon at night will overexpose the moon's features:

The moon is very bright, even during an eclipse. If you rely on the internal exposure settings in your camera you’ll likely get a picture that’s overexposed and has no detail. That’s because the exposure meter in the camera expects everything to be neutral gray and the moon is bright white.

Sorry, but unless I'm mistaken, this is incorrect. A meter that expects gray will underexpose a bright white subject. The intuition is that the meter, expecting gray and seeing brightness provides a reading that corresponds to a very bright gray, rather than a merely bright white, and reduces the exposure accordingly, correctly for a gray with that brightness, but too much for white. (This, anyway, is the account given in any standard explanation for photographing in snow or white sand.)

Don't get me wrong.  I have no doubt that a shot of a bright moon against a black sky will blow the moon's highlights under standard settings that average the light in a frame. But that's just because the dynamic range is unmanageable. Spot metering the moon solves that problem (though not the one that cuts in the other direction, namely that the moon is white, not gray).

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow