Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,425Gear list
Like?
Pentax and AF Tracking Warn lots of pic
4 months ago

I will start a new thread on tracking. To understand this thread you need to read this thread.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3654954

I have for years now tracked BIF, Air Planes, Cars and other things. Coming toward me, away from me, straight above my head. It started a few years ago with the K20D.

Here is just some of a good amount I found of the K-5 tracking Gulls flying toward me and then away from me. Why can't the K-3 do it? It can do it is my bet. DPRs scene on the street or camera setting or something was wrong in the way they did the test.

I followed this guy for more pics than I am showing. There were two or three Gulls this one broke off the group of Gulls and came straight toward me. As you can see he released a bomb! Yep, take a good look, I am under attack. He then banks across me.

I did do BIF with the K-5. But I have not wrote this because its blowing my own horn (talking big of myself) which I don't like doing too much! I have ignored all posters and DPR when it comes to AF tracking in any way. There is just not a problem if your body, lens and you are all in tune with each other. After the very good success I had with the K20D, then K-5 I feel a mile away from DPR and some others. I don't understand the tracking issue. I went out today and could track squirrels coming toward me or away. I did not take shots just watched what the K-5 with DA55-300mm did. It was constantly adjusting focus when needed. So I don't know where I made that leap of faith, but Pentax dSLRs have no problems tracking X,Y,Z. Yes Z axis as well; its a bit more tricky. But its within the abilities of Pentax dSLRs. That leaves you with a system with only you the photographer as the limit. I am showing the pics. Done so for years.

Tracking Gulls with the K-5 it tracks better than the K20D; and if the K-3 is better than the K-5 WOW (I do want one). You/me will need to learn how it likes things, how it tracks, then there will be no tracking limits. Only photographer limit. Heck if you had to, you could go to manual focus, f/14, high ISO. I am sure some others are more easy to shoot. I am sure DPR failed. That does not 100% for sure means there is a limit. I won't ever forget believing that the K20D can't do BIF then finding it does great BIF. I am not saying its pro gear. But go read some other forums.

What I learned that day (read link) is forget what any forum or tester says, go out and shoot some pics. Get to know for yourself what you and the camera can and can’t do, and this learning progresses over time; even years. So go out and shoot some pics.

K-5 turn at tracking Gulls... not a problem

My DPR album won't let me add any more pics. So I am using my Photobucket account.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
Pentax K20D Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow