Question: should I try a37 for some old MD lenses?

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Whimsicalityd
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Question: should I try a37 for some old MD lenses?
In reply to benholdeman, 8 months ago

I was faced with a similar question recently. I was given 3 Minolta MD lenses, 50mm f1.7; 28mm f2.5; 135mm f2.8.

After doing some research I found out that not only does the glass in the adapter degrade image quality, but it also has a 1.4x crop and the accompanying aperture modifications.

So I purchased a no glass Minolta manual focus to Alpha mount adapter for my a77. (If interested I can show you which one I purchased as it is a nice adapter.)

Here is how each lens behaved on the a77.

135mm f2.8-closest focus distance was about 1 foot, and the farthest distance was about 6 feet. This puts an adult head close to filling the frame at the long end when doing portrait photography.

50mm f1.7-closest focus distance was about 6 inches and the farthest is about 1 foot.

28mm f2.5-closest focus distance was about 2 inches and that farthest is about 3 inches...and no, that is not a typo, it really is that short. It did however make the penny I was photographing look a little 3D.

I also can confirm that IBIS does not work with this setup.

Hope this helps a little more.

Hi! I'm so new to this digital camera world... My iPhone gas spoiled me! I picked up the Sony A37 and already messed it up. I can't get any of these configurations off the screen.. Not the viewfinder but I am sure if I looked they would appear.
So I haven't a clue what an MD is other than Marylands' abbreviation or Med Doc.. But I DO have an older Minolta XL 700 and was wondering if the lens would fit on this Sony and if I need an adapter of some sort.. Where would I find it? Thanks so much in advance! My email is willow200@aol.com..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow