Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HansB951
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
A6000 in low light - not so great
7 months ago

I am a happy A77 user: Love the camera, love the EVF, love the tiltable screen. Love the IQ, even th much debated llight noise is up to ISO 800 in my mind a greatly exagerated issue.

As a photography student I spend 20 hours a week on all aspects of photography, so I wanted a second body, smaller, for stealth, street and travel

Tried the A7 for a few days, but he extra IQ was not worth the extra money for me. Also the low light behaviour did not convince me.

So when I heard that my favorite camera shop in NL had the A6000 in stock, I rushed over, tried it for an hour, and decided to buy it, with the 15-50 lens.

Tried it under various circumstances for a couple of days now, overall very happy. Responsive, handles fine,  IQ ok, acceptable viewfinder, not as good as the A77, but ok.

Then yesterday night I tried it in really low light, and I was less then satisfied.

Two issues:

Under light less then EV +4 , the viewfinder gets slow. Smearing at first, and with a bit less light and higher Aperture number even skipping: It look like you are looking at a time lapse recording. Not sure anybody had this or noticed, have not seen that behavior documented. Compared it to my A77, that has no problem whatsoever.

Then AF, much acclaimed. What I noticed that under EV 0 the AF starts getting into trouble. At EV -2 it really needs contrast to focus. If there is no contrast, the camera hunts, and hardly gets focus. Again, comparing that to  my A77, has no problems at EV -4 or even less.

I guess I will be keeping the camera, the advantages  outweigh the disadvantages. Love the solid feel in my big hands. Just need to be aware of the limitations

-- hide signature --

Hans

HansB951's gear list:HansB951's gear list
Sony SLT-A77
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow