Spot On E-M1 Sensor After Night of Beer Drinking, Cleaning Sensor Advice?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fuesting
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Spot On E-M1 Sensor After Night of Beer Drinking, Cleaning Sensor Advice?
8 months ago

I had a wonderful night out in Louisville, KY about 2 weeks ago. All evening I was taking some really fun shots of my friends. As soon as we ended up at Sergio's World Beers, "my" E-M1 became "everyone's" E-M1. It was being passed around like a joint at a Grateful Dead concert. Lenses swapped on and off. It was really fun.

2 weeks later, today, I'm cleaning my gear and I notice this spot on the sensor. It's probably from an errant spittle or maybe a beer hiccup. There is a slight dot of raised or solid material within the actual visual dot in the picture.  So, there is something that travelled in liquid. (can't stop thinking of the Seinfeld spit episode). Well, I've never cleaned a sensor on any of my cameras and I'm a little nervous after reading instructions (opinions). I really could only find recommendations for the E-M5, but that has a slightly different sensor.  I'm not inclined to send this in for some $150 service of the sensor.  There is no Olympus dealer in the Pittsburgh area, so that's probably out too. I don't mind doing this myself but wanted some recommendations.

So far, my plan is to order some Visible Dust Orange 1.3x wipe thingies from B&H.  I'd appreciate some other recommendations on how to clean it.

I will be doing everything gingerly with minimal effort.

Thanks, Jeff

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow