Sigma: the new L?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Fazal Majid
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma: the new L?
In reply to XeroJay, 7 months ago

XeroJay wrote:

For me, this all signifies that inspite of Canon really upping their L lens quality over the last fee years, I find myself seeing Sigma as an actual upgrade over the best that Canon has to offer... A new elite level of lenses.

Are the others here who feel the same, and if so, what lenses would you like to see Sigma come out with next?

Well, I dumped my 50mm f/1.2L and preordered the 50mm f/1.4 ART. I never liked the Canon 50mm L, granted my reference is the Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 or the Fuji XF 35mm f/1.4R. It's sad the 24-70mm f/2.8LII blows away most of the Canon wide to normal primes. Both Canon and Nikon have been resting complacently on their laurels, and I applaud Sigma for taking the fight to them.

I also agree with Sigma's self-assessment - Canon and Nikon are no longer even in the same league, their competition is Zeiss. The logical next step for Sigma would be to make a 20mm or 24mm f/2 ART to compete with the Zeiss Distagons and a 100mm f/2 macro to compete with the Makro-Planar.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Leica M Typ 240 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Eh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow