First Foray into Full Frame on a Budget?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MinAZ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,119
Like?
First Foray into Full Frame on a Budget?
8 months ago

I am a self-confessed gearhead. I do love the art of photography but I am also a gigantic nerd and I love collecting photography stuff. One thing I have never done is to use a full-frame digital camera (I did use full frame 35mm cameras, but those are really cheap compared to full-frame digital for some reason).

I have been thinking about making a foray into digital 35mm, but I could never justify paying $3,300+ for a system. However, I have been thinking whether it might be worth shelling out a couple of hundred bucks to get an old EOS 5D or even an old Kodak digital 35mm. The 5Ds run about $500 for the first version, and more than $1k for the Mark II, and the Kodaks run about $300.

Price is very much an issue. I am doing this for fun not a profession (yet) and at this point what is driving this is 100% curiosity. Now, at some point, if the FF blows me away, I might end up selling all my gear and trading up to a FF system. But for now, I just want to know what all the fuss is about, play around with FF and see what kind of IQ and DOF I can get etc...

Currently I use a Canon 70D with fast  (but not usually L) glass.

The question is: will the 5D still have enough defining characteristics which are ADVANTAGES compared to the 70D that it will make it worth even the (relatively) meager investment to buy one? Or is the advantages simply not enough, and the oldness of the camera make it so inferior to a 70D that I would be disappointed? Should I simply save up for the Mark II (or Mark III) bearing in mind that that will delay my ability to enter the FF arena for months (years)? In other words, the 5D seems like a bargain, but is it really a bargain or is the low price justified? Has it been totally been replaced by the 70D in IQ, etc...

I am sure the eventual question is "what do you want to get from it?" The answer is: nothing really. Intellectual curiosity. Desire to see the differences in IQ. A glimmer of hope that the FF will be some magic potion that will yield outstanding results to my photography. Maybe seeking the next better (economically priced) improvement to an already great camera (the 70D). A strong desire not to break the bank.

I know a lot of you must have graduated from the 5D so I'd love to know how you loved or hated the camera and if you'd ever go back. And if you think that the 5D is a good introduction for someone who has never used FF before.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow