Thousands (BILLIONS! j/k) of hot pixels at 1/200 and ISO 6400 on D800

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
MickLaF
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: Thousands (BILLIONS! j/k) of hot pixels at 1/200 and ISO 6400 on D800
In reply to Janoch, 5 months ago

Janoch wrote:

I've uploaded three ISO 6400 shots for you here, http://www.mediafire.com/download/0svwas6ad2l3wkl/ISO6400.zip

First a shot as requested above.

Then a 1/15s shot of a black bag. It's a bit underexposed, but "usable". Still lots of colored pixels, when zooming in to like 200%...

Last shot is a severly underexposed shot of same bag. Raise exposure compensation in post processing with two stops and have a look at 100 or 200%... the horror, the horror!

If you can get close to "perfect" exposure, even ISO 6400 is usable, but you loose a lot of dynamic range. Above ISO 1600 is not really the D800 force...

If you have a lot of shooting at these high ISOs, perhaps you should look for "The King of Darkness" Nikon D3s... or the mighty D4...

Kind regards Jan.

Perfect! Thank you. I opened shot 3688 in Windows Photo Viewer and it look just like mine! So, obvious as it is, a sensor with 36 million pixels crammed together has quite a few hot pixels when amped up to 6400. However, lightroom will pull them out regardless, and I believe long exposure NR works wonders with dark frame subtraction for star photography.

Thank you both for taking the time to snap some shots and upload them. Gives me peace of mind on what's "normal" for this camera.

MickLaF's gear list:MickLaF's gear list
Pentax K-3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow