Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JPEG Shooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 531Gear list
Like?
Panoramas
7 months ago

I was having a hell of a time trying to get the Panorama feature on my HS50 to work. I'd try and it'd fail over and over. I looked in the manual to see if I was doing it right and found out that you don't hold the shutter button down as you pan, you simply press the shutter all the way down to start the process, then pan the camera. So I tried that. Still... fail, fail, fail.

Then, by accident, I found out the problem. (I could not find this info anywhere in the manual. If it's there, please point it out to me cuz I totally missed it)

The Pano feature defaulted to a 360 degree panorama. I thought that meant that you could do UP TO a 360 degree pan. That's not the case. In that mode, set at 360 degrees, it wants you to spin all the way around 360 degrees. And that's not what I was doing... I only wanted a panorama of what was in front of me.

I didn't know you could set it to do less than 360 degrees. So you have to set it do do a lesser degree pan if that's what you want it to do. By pressing the 'down' button on the selector pad on the back of the camera when in Panorama mode, you can select 120 degrees or 180 degrees instead of 360.

Once I did that... success every time! And it's great to see that this option is on my X-S1 too.

Unfortunately I found this out late in my Costa Rica trip so only had the opportunity to try it at the beach. And, doing this handheld, my pan was a bit wobbly so the the water/sky horizon isn't very straight. I think this would not even be noticable on a scenic pan though.

120 degree pano SOOC

180 degree pano SOOC

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter
view my galleries at http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr

JPEG Shooter's gear list:JPEG Shooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A57 +2 more
Fujifilm X-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow