Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hunt
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
Impressions of Olympus E-M1
3 months ago

In January I sold the rest of my Canon DSLR bodies, L lenses, Leica M-9 and six Leica and Zeiss lenses and replaced them with a pair of Olympus E-M1 cameras.  I do a fair amount of international travel and wanted to replace the Canon gear because of its size and weight.  I found that the Leica took more effort to frame and set than I like.  I also found that changing prime lenses takes time that I often don't have when traveling with a group.

I have embarked on a 35-day cruise from Bangkok to Rome and have finished the first few stops of the journey.  I just wanted to say how pleased I am with the Olympus camera and lenses.  I have one body equipped with the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro lens and the other with the Lumix 35-100mm f2.8 lens.  Focusing is fast, the high ISO capabilities of the camera are much better than the Leica and comparable to my Canon 5D MkII for my purposes.  The gear is light and I can carry it around all day without a problem.  I couldn't be happier with the camera gear.

I've been done a blog and photo gallery while traveling.  Those interested in seeing the results of the E-M1 are welcome to view the blog at:

www.world-scenes.com

All of the photos from Bangkok onward were made with the Olympus gear except for the infrared black and white shots that were made with a Sony NEX-7 converted by Life Pixel to 720nm IR.  The photos of Chicago in January are also Olympus shots.  I hope you enjoy the work and will keep the blog updated as we reach other ports of call.

Hunt

Hunt's gear list:Hunt's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow