Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX-6 to get my teens (and myself) started in photography

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
kcdogger
Contributing MemberPosts: 515Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX-6 to get my teens (and myself) started in photography
In reply to hedgehog22, 5 months ago

My personal preference, personal opinion - Both cameras are good, but I'd stick with the Nikon.

IMHO Sony is just too erratic in their development strategy. - kinda like throwing a paint-filled water balloon at a wall.  Theiir development is constant innovation, but it is not linear in any way - where the next camera is an improvement on the last one - as most Canon and Nikons are.  Sony always has a whiz-bang feature, but then quietly takes away some feature(s) that you had gotten used to using from previous cameras - then, perhaps introduces a completely different line - DSLRs and A mount lenses (with beginner, consumer, enthusiast, and pro lines) - then drop DSLRs - then SLTs with A mpunt lenses - then NEX (in a whole bunch of confusing iterations) with E mount lenses, then drop NEX - then AX000 series - then full frame mirrorless, etc.etc.  They are all good but confusing a hell, and you never know what you are getting.  Look at the A57, followed by the dumbed down A58, for example.  One thing is sure - You won't get all the features unless you buy all the cameras - in all the mounts, and all the lenses.  Their development systems seems to me like an abstract Dali or Picasso painting - What the heck is going on?

Nikon development strategy may seem boring by comparison, but they always have good cameras, and they ar developed pretty much in a linear fashion - i.e. the next one will be better than the last one.  Yes, they have different lines - beginner, consumer, enthusiast, and pro - but within those lines the next one is going to be better than the last one.  Count on it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow