Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,890Gear list
Like?
Stylus 1, a few experiments
3 months ago

I'm considering a Stylus 1 as an addition to my travel collection. (Canon S95 & G15, Panasonic FZ200)  It would probably replace the FZ200 on trips where I don't need 600 mm.

Anyhow, the G15 is the best, picture wise, of my three cameras, and so I wanted to see how the Stylus 1 compared.  So I downloaded  images of their "still life" studio set up from Imaging Resource.  They did two sets of shots, one with the default NR settings, and one set with it set lower.  I downloaded shots at ISO 100, 400, 800, and 1600.

The downloads looked similar to the default settings from the G15, a little too soft.  So I PP both sets with a little sharpening, and compared them to a set from the G15 with the same amount of sharpening.

The result?  The Stylus 1 default set with sharpening looked very good to ISO 800 and very comparable to the G15 default set with sharpening.  Even in a borderless 8.5" x 11" print, you would not be able to tell them apart - the colors may be a bit different, but sharpness & detail would look the same.  However, the G15 is a lot better at ISO 1600; which is where the Stylus 1 takes a sudden turn for the worse.  Noise increases, noise reduction kicks in pretty hard, smearing details, and causing noticeable desaturation of colors.  Happily, the fast lens means I'll seldom ever need ISO 1600.

So why am I looking at the Stylus 1?  It's a little like the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  The FZ200 is a little big, and although it has a tiny sensor, it has remarkable image quality.  So that's Papa Bear.  The G15 is very good; but it only goes to 140 mm and that's not enough.  So that's Baby Bear. And the Stylus 1 is quite light and compact and goes to 300 mm with a larger sensor, and that's just right.  I'd probably team the Stylus 1 with my S95 which is pocketable and has an f/2 lens.

I'd like to use filters with the Stylus 1, and Lensmate may have one of their lens adapter systems that would fit.  I use one on my G15.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow