Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lisetta
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?
Black Background Using "S" and EV Comp?
6 months ago

re: getting a black background. Just for JPEG with no PP...One of the members of the Canon forum --Tony Britton, I think it was--gets an effect I really like with his SX40/50. He'd have a CU of the subject--bird, flower etc.--nicely lit in the foreground and the background blacked out. I did it once or twice with my Canon and really liked it, but can't quite remember how.

I think it was something like, "fast shutter, zoom in on well lit subject separated from background and then adjust the EV until the background goes black." Now that I'm "back with a camera (X-S1) again" I wanted to try to do that and it's not working at all (even when I force it, it just underexposes everything, exactly as the camera said it would. The way Tony did it the subject remained in focus and well lit and only the background went dark).

Does anyone know if I'm missing a step, or if that kind of effect just isn't possible with this camera?

Tx,

Lisetta

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow