Running out of hard drive space again... what to do?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
SMPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000
Like?
Re: Consider embracing Cloud storage?
In reply to KenBuse, 8 months ago

I'm a professional with terabytes upon terabytes of 60mb Raw files and 25mb JPEGs. I do the following:

Internal 500GB SSD for OS boot, applications and 5 or so most current projects. This makes PS and LR run very quickly and efficiently. As someone else said, keep at least 10-15% free for scratch memory etc. I then have several 2-3 TB external spinning disk drives for storing other projects that are in the last year or so and I may need to edit more. Then all other finished work, with exception of a few special images where I want to keep RAW files, I archive off as full resolution JPGs to Smugmug Pro account. Sure, it's not exactly cheap at $300, and I'm not sure if that's financially feasible, but I have around 12TB organized and stored there that is much easier than looking through a stack of HDs to find.

That said, make sure you consider WHOSE cloud you embrace. Before Smugmug I invested a lot of time in uploading files to a online back/generic file storage service that seemed a great deal with unlimited file types and storage for under $100 a year. Right up until they migrated to new servers and permanently lost all my files. The ole "you get what you pay for" adage bit me in the butt.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow