Can somebody answer a question re the Oly 12-40 please ..

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 15,123Gear list
Like?
Can somebody answer a question re the Oly 12-40 please ..
8 months ago

Right now I'm in a delicate situation of possibly having the chance of a super deal on this lens but I cannot find any positive detail on what does concern me a little.
The lens is for use on my GM-1... as well known..a pretty nifty, excellent camera to say the least .. but SMALL camera. The 12-40 pretty well overwhelms it in a way.. yet it is the case that for years I was using lenses which required a left-hand lens hold rather than both hands on-camera..and I have the feeling that this may well be even more suitable with the diddy GM-1 body to give better stability.

But apart from the basic existing size of the 12-40.. a far as I can ascertain anyway..the lens does actually use the extend/retract method of zoom action..in which case of course it can in some uses be even longer than normally seen .. but HOW LONG..that I simply cannot find out anywhere.

So - anyone who has in use the GM-1/12-40 combination.. could you PLEASE let me know firstly ...when generally ON but used in the 12-14 or so area..is that when the lens is barely opened out more...the 40mm long end then being when at full extension .. and whichever .. how MUCH does it extend at maximum, so I know just what sort of overall body+lens length I then have to contend with in actual use.

This IS quite an important point I have to consider in my regular use if I go ahead...

Hope someone can understand and maybe help me in this...

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow