Like?
Re: Focus speed IS lens dependant
In reply to sgoldswo, 5 months ago

sgoldswo wrote:

brianric wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

brianric wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

using what kind of lens? kit? (f/3.5-f/5.6), f/4? or f/2.8? or a prime even faster? that makes a difference when light levels are lower.

Lens will make a difference, but a f/5.6 lens will send the same amount of light to the focusing sensor on Nikons. The only system I know where focusing speed and accuracy changes is on Canons (don't know if all Canons work that way) where there are more accurate sensors that are activated by the f/2.8 aperture lens. Only thing a wider aperture does on Nikons is a brighter viewfinder.

I had a 24-70/2.8 Tamron VC on the Df, and a 24-120/4.0 on the D800.

Focus is still lens dependant on Nikons. Not because of the focus system in the camera but because of the lens.

In my experience, the Tamron VC isn't the fastest lens to focus and can hunt a bit, whether mounted on the Df, my old D600 or my D800E (if you check out some online reviews you'll see its significant enough to warrant a mention as a negative with respect to the lens). That's one of the reasons I sold it and replaced it with the Nikkor 24-70.

I have the Nikkor 24-70/2.8, prefer the Tamron.

Sure, it has some advantages, notably the VC. That doesn't make it any faster to focus though. I had mine hunt on me in daylight indoors (mounted on my D800E). I hate to think what it would be like in this kind of setting.

It very well may be a problem using the Tamron. Plan on using the Df at my next Relay with the Nikkor 24-120/4.0 May 30, and report back.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow