Trying to decide between DF and D610, IQ differences

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
BasiliskPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 652
Like?
Re: Trying to decide between DF and D610, IQ differences
In reply to fwellers, 4 months ago

I have a few AI/S lenses, and they certainly seem to give pixel level sharpness wide open on the D600 at 24MP. I am not that bothered if they are completely sharp across the frame wide open - if I want sharp corners, I can always stop down a bit. I am sure modern lenses have higher resolutions in some theoretical situations, but from a practical point of view, I don't think sharpness and resolution is a serious problem with one of the good AI/S lenses at 24MP (though there are some lenses which supposedly don't hold up quite as well)

One might assume, looking at the Df that it is a camera designed for use with classic manual lenses - they certainly look good when attached - but I think it is a bit skin deep. I have seen no evidence that the camera provides any benefit over the D600 for shooting MF lenses. No clever focus assistance or easily replaceable focus screen. If you are shooting f1.2 you will experience exactly the same challenges on each body. The only "benefit" of the Df is that the slightly lower resolution might be a bit more forgiving of missed focus. I usually switch to live view and use a loupe in critical low DOF situations. Clumsy but effective.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow