Opinion on abandoning DSLR for System X

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Alxy
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinion on abandoning DSLR for System X
In reply to TORN, 5 months ago

TORN wrote:

I used quite some mirrorless over the last two years from Nex-7 over E-M5 to X-E1/T1 (which I returned). All said and done each of those has been a compromise in one way or the other compared to my 9 year old 5D. Sure a 5D comes in with 500g more weight but compensates with quick, reliable and ergonomic handling - something I miss most with the small mirrorless (yet). Funny enough everybody compares a tiny ML setup with a fully loaded DSLR setup even though this is no apples to apples comparison.

In my case I go leight with my 5D as well. 17-40, 35IS and 85 1.8. With a Fuji to be able to produce about the same results this requires $3k of lenses with 10-24, 23, 56. None of them essentially smaller than their counterpart. So what is in there? Same carrying bag, 1kg in weight saved, lots of $ investment, no time proven equipment, lack in handling, xtrans hassle in Lightroom and no other results than before.

Don't get me wrong I use my E1 more often than my Canon nowadays. I only baught 14&35&18-55 and no other of the expensive lenses. This is fine for my traveling needs. But when I call for quick and reliable it is still my DSLR.

Talking about size and leaving at home: Let's just say in this respect my Canon M with 22mm pancake is to my Fuji what the Fuji is to my 5D. Everything is a compromise. You have to find yours.

If I may summarize what you are saying - you like Canon 5D more and 1Kg less in weight is not enough to compromise.

But I, as some others, like Fuji X system more than Canon. So for me using Fuji is a compromise of the image quality and speed vs Canon, but using Canon would be a compromise of handling.

I like to use Live View and articulated screen of X-T1. I like to see on the screen and in the viewfinder the exact results of the exposure.

And the difference of half Kg is actually a lot, but not  in the bag - it is on my neck or in my hand. 5Dm3 is 900g by its own, X-T1 with lens is 700g.

I would not mind to carry more Kgs, but the thing is that I am not making that many photos and to carry extra weight for a few pictures a day is not worth it for me.

Alxy's gear list:Alxy's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow