Re: Resolution, pixel density and lenses: D800 vs. D610
In reply to danielbw, 8 months ago

danielbw wrote:

TQGroup wrote:

danielbw wrote:

TQGroup wrote:

danielbw wrote:

TQGroup wrote:

Regarding the issue of "over resolve", and considering you already have a bag full of very good glass, my I suggest you go over to DxOMark and see how your existing lenses compare on the D610 and D800 sensors...

I already did. According to dxo, most of these lenses perform 'slightly' better on the D800. But the difference is very marginal and the dxo results come from testing environments, of course. My specific needs may differ a lot. So, I use these testing numbers as a serious reference, then I try to factor in some other aspects.

I'm impressed! You could be the first poster I read who has figured out how to use DxOmark. The French will be happy!

Are you being sarcastic?

Oh... is dxo French? Then why don't they review wines instead?

The way it works now, I think, is that all the best French wine reviewers are in Australia and some of the Australian winemakers are working overtime in France!

You may find that for some lenses, their relative performance is very similar, on others the D800 sensor can draw out a lot more performance, eg the Nikon 200 F2 VRII.

As to AF, I have a D7100 and a D600 and my shooting style has no problem with either AF system. However, the D800 AF is definitely better in low light.

I chose the D600 because, to me, it is a better "all rounder" for the features and performance I need. Yet, my shutterbug mates chose D800s. Given your stated experience, it should not be difficult to draw up a brief list of features you need and quickly decide your best "compromise" option. Unfortunately, the "best" camera does not exist and probably never will ... Good luck with your call!

Could you please elaborate a bit more on the reasons you chose the D600? Specially regarding DR. I'm very interested to hear other people's experience with it.

OK, here goes... I wanted a "smaller, lighter", better balanced camera that I could "shoot from the hip" when doing street; a more "action" oriented camera rather than a "studio" camera. I like the idea of 6 fps when needed for action shots.

I wanted a "less obtrusive" camera for safer, easier traveling in foreign regions. I am not a camera snob.

This is something I also take into consideration. But a D610 with 24-70 and hood attached can be as obtrusive as anything else. So for underdeveloped countries it may as well be an advantage to shoot with a tank camera and the National Geographic or UN or a NGO logo replacing "Nikon".

I try to compensate my own shyness by using a Lowepro Slingshot, keeping the camera out of sight until I need it.

I wanted sufficient MPX to look great on 4K UHD TV and print 24" x 36", even after a "little" cropping.

I wanted "sufficient" dynamic range when I shoot RAW or HDR on JPG. I mainly shoot JPG and display SOOC on TVs for my most of shots.

I wanted a camera that would help me become a better "photographer" and help get me out and about and off my butt, rather than force me to be even more of a chained to the computer "graphic artist".

I did not want / need 36 MPX and did not like the file size issues.

After 18 months with the D600, the only thing I really covet from the D800 is the slightly faster autofocus for BIF and the extra IQ the D800 can draw when I borrow my friend's 200 F2 VRII.

Otherwise, the D600 does it all for me. Hope this helps!

Helps a lot! Thank you very much.

Could you briefly describe the procedure you use to undercome the limited number of focus points?

Daniel

-- hide signature --

For my sins of around fifty years of photography, I still like to use the centre AF point for spot metering.

Typically for many shots, I spot meter the area that I want absolutely correct in colour / exposure, I lock in that reading using the AEL/AFL button (set to AEL), recompose the picture and shoot with the exposure I want locked in. So, I have no need for assorted outlying points. I can do this very, very quickly and with good precision and results.

Of course, for some photographs, I use matrix metering and for others, I may take multiple "spot" readings using either the camera's meter or a separate hand held lightmeter. I guess it is a matter of judgement / experience as to the best way to do metering for different subjects and the desired results in high contrast and / or rapidly changing light situations.

The same holds true for focus.

For example, if photographing a person, I may wish to very accurately render "her" cheek colour, so I will meter that and lock it in; but I may want "her" near eye to be in critical focus so I will focus on that, re-compose and fire away. I will end up with the correct exposure of the specific area I want and sharp focus also on the area I want that may be quite different.

Ok, I guess I'm still a bit confused about the D610's procedure (through buttons and menus) to do this. Which are the steps one has to go through to achieve this? Which button do you asign to lock in focus before re-composing (a button you don't have to hold, just press) through the menus? And then how do you manually lock exposure if you use the AE-F/AE-L as a AF-ON?

Thanks a lot for your lengthy answer. Really appreciate it.

Here I cannot be of too much help because, in effect, I'd have to try and re-write the D610 manual while I only own a D600, which may be different in some way...

There are however, some You Tube videos on the subject, or at least there were when I last looked in late 2012 so I suggest you could try there. The area you want to look for is in assigning function buttons, or something like that. There were also write-ups on how to do this by some bloggers...

Of course, if I'm using a multiple light set-up, the focus technique holds but there may be quite a lot of spot metering (both incident and / or reflective) done to optimise contrast ratios and hence exposure. There are other situations which may call for still different options...

Isn't that the beauty of photography... there is always more to learn and the more you learn the more questions there are to ask!

Hope this helps!

-- hide signature --

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow