Started 8 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
smozes
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Yosemite Hike with the EOS M
8 months ago

I wasn't that crazy about the camera due to slowness. But I'm getting the hang of it, and after taking it on a long hike this week I am very impressed with the results from this tiny camera.

I carried the M with the 22mm in a Lowepro Dash20, mounted on my Camelbak shoulder strap, which is barely noticeable and very convenient. I also carried the EF 50 1.8 II in a side pocket, with the adapter already mounted to it (simple since I don't own any other EF lenses but the 50). Both are fast and sharp lenses, and very easy to carry. I also had a light tripod in my backpack, but I can never find the moment to set it up in the middle of a hike. All the shots are handheld.

A few observations:

1. These lenses let me use very low ISO and a small aperture, they are sharp and deliver fine detail for landscape shots, just handheld. The M is a great hiking camera.

2. I'm still a bit bewildered by the UI: I again found myself shooting JPEGs only, even though I'm sure I already set it up to always capture RAW/JPEGs.

3. After setting a shortcut to temporarily boost the screen, composing in daylight has become much easier.

4. I take lots of handheld HDRs in harsh sunlight, and notice a slight loss of sharpness. Of course, I should be using a tripod and shoot RAW. But the function works well, if slowly.

I really hope Canon is serious about this camera.

View of Yosemite Fall from the valley floor (HDR)

Lower Yosemite Fall Rainbow (HDR)

Moving up Yosemite Fall, view of NE Yosemite valley (HDR)

Top of Yosemite Fall

Half Dome, descending back to the valley, last daylight (HDR, Aperture B&W red filter)

SW Yosemite Valley, on descent from Yosemite Fall trail (HDR)

-- hide signature --

EOS M+22mm, EF 50 1.8 II

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow