Does a very high shutter speed ever have adverse effects on image quality? ND filter ever beneficial

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GBJ
GBJ
Regular MemberPosts: 161
Like?
Does a very high shutter speed ever have adverse effects on image quality? ND filter ever beneficial
5 months ago

This kid was running for me...I was trying out the 3D matrix continuous focus.

HI, I am wondering if a very high shutter speed ever has adverse effects on image quality?

I know that an ND filter is beneficial if I am using a flash, because flash output is at maximum power when it is close to the camera's max flash sync speed, but other than this situation, is there any problem if the camera chooses a shutter speed like 1/5000 - 1/8000 of a second?

The other day I was out at a park during the weekend, and I got some amazing portraits, using the 70-200mm VR2...I was impressed to remember the image quality and bokeh of this lens.

Anyways, I shot many photos using F3.5, F5.6, and F2.8. Subject isolation from the background made the pics look so professional!

When shooting at F2.8 in the park, with great lighting and iso 200 on my D700, I started to think again if these faster shutter speeds were ever a problem to image quality, and started wondering if I should attach a 2 stop ND filter to the end of my lens?

One more question...are polarizing filters ever advantageous for portrait photos? I think the answer to this one is no, but why? What is the negative effect on a person's face?

Thankyou for any advice! 

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow