ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
emeybee
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
A77 vs A6000 for travel
8 months ago

Hello,

I was posting in the Beginner forum and they suggested I move here since I've pretty much settled on Sony and you all would know more specifics about Sony than they would. This crosses both A-Mount and E-Mount though so I'm not sure which forum to pick. I am posting in A-Mount simply because it comes first alphabetically

To avoid too much repetition, that original thread is here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53471618

And my photos are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emeybee/sets/

But in brief, I travel to exotic places (Burma, Ethiopia, Peru, etc) and need a camera to take with me. I am coming from bridge cameras/super zooms and want to upgrade to get better image quality. (People will probably suggest the RX10/RX100 again. I know they're great, but their limited zoom doesn't work for me).

I've pretty much narrowed my choice to either:

• The A77 with the kit lens + Tamron 28-300mm (kit lens for weather sealing/day to day, Tamron for the zoom)
  • The A6000 with the 18-200mm LE lens (avoid carrying extra lenses/changing them in poor conditions)

My concerns are these:

• The A77 is weather sealed, the A6000 is not. I'm not going to be shooting in pouring rain, but I travel to places with mist and drizzle and dust and dirt. I am not sure how well the A6000 would do in those conditions.
  • The A6000 is smaller/lighter. I'm afraid the A77 will be shockingly heavy, particularly coming from bridge cameras which, with lens, weigh less than the A77's body
  • With the A6000 I can only get to 210mm zoom with lenses currently available (I don't want to hassle with adapters), with the A77 I can get to 300mm. Coming from super zooms with 700mm+ I want to keep as much zoom as I can. 
  • A6000 doesn't have GPS, which I very much would like, but can talk myself out of if I have to.
  • The A77 apparently performs worse in low light than the A6000. Though I'll only be viewing on a computer monitor and maybe printing an occasional 8x10, so I don't know how neglibile the difference is.
  • The A77 apparently has better image stabiliziation? (I'm not lugging around a tripod).
  • The A-mount system may be phased out in favor of E-mount? (I read that somewhere, don't know if it's true)

So anyway, that's my situation. Although I know the A6000 isn't even out yet I'm hoping you guys can offer some advice/guidance about which camera would be best for my purposes.

Thank you!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6000 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow