Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
glenncombs
Senior MemberPosts: 2,055
Like?
Where..... in the World is Canon going?
7 months ago

Now don't shoot me, I'm just a messenger. But, I have been pondering this question for quite some time, on a personal level. For instance, I note that for quite a while now, Canon has not had a single camera in the listing of dpreview's most popular models. The newest releases in 2014 are pretty much just small incremental improvements of the standard Canon offerings of the past 2-3 years. This recent phenomena of digital photography converting to phone cameras, and other portable device cameras has really thrown the digital camera manufacturers into a downward spiral. This has been well noted in dpreview's various discussions on the site.

Now personally, I have been a die-hard Canon fan, back to the days of the A-1 film body. I still have a very mint copy of that model, along with several other modern digital cameras up to and including the G1 X. But, I really wonder where this is all going, and I don't have any good clean answers to present here. It just looks like Canon is up to "just more of the same." But, this will not fly. Without major innovations, Canon will just go the way of the dinosaurs, and Kodak.

Of all the new Canon models, I only see two cameras that might be considered innovative. But, they are still just incremental improvements. (The Canon G1 X Mk II, and the N100) Others may debate the details of what is more innovative. But, Canon needs to stop producing camera of the past, and move on, or go the way of the dinosaur. I don't see the major innovation right now in their current crop. Others may disagree.

Glenn

-- hide signature --

Canon S2, SD880, SD4000, G1 X

Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot N100 Canon PowerShot SD40 (Digital IXUS i7 / IXY Digital L4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow