Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,588Gear list
Like?
Open letter to Canon re sensors.
6 months ago

My first DSLR was a Nikon D80. I soon upgraded to the D300. Then I waited and waited for the D800 but it took way too long so I switched to Canon and got the 5DII. Next was a 60D. Then I got a second 5DII just in case. I accumulated lenses from 8 to 500 plus other Canon accessories. The investment was huge and I waited for a Mp monster from Canon. Nope, none arrived. Surely Canon would match or exceed the 36Mp of the Nikon D800E? We got the 5DIII with an additional 1 Mp. I was disappointed with that offering. A mate got that model and is quite happy with it and it is probably the best all rounder in a DSLR body. I thought I needed it, too.

A couple of months ago I finally got a Sony A7R. The deal I got included a Metabones III smart adapter and battery grip. So I could finally use my Canon lenses with a 36Mp full frame sensor. What swayed me the most is that I could have focus peaking to manually focus my Canon glass. What I found is that the IQ of the Sony is so good that I don't use my two 5DII any more. I have also retired my NEX7 except for flower shots. The 60D was retired by the NEX7. Now I have 3 Canon DSLR that I no longer use which is a huge waste and shame.

One thing about the A7R is that photos taken with the Canon lenses look better via that sensor. The 17-40 I used for a week in the past then got the 16-35. Well, the 17-40 is sharp with the A7R. So is the 400L. I seldom used the 400 since getting the 500L. However, the 400 is a lighter and smaller package. The focus peaking and magnified view via the viewfinder makes all the difference in the world and when is Canon going to include this feature in their cameras?

Over the last couple of years we have seen Canon release excellent pro video cameras and lenses but nothing really exciting elsewhere. Where is the 7DII? Where is the high Mp successor to the 5DIII? Where is the successor to the 1Ds?

Vince

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow