Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BrokenPine
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Sony Autofucus
8 months ago

Okay, so I have always manual focused in video with these Alpha cameras, but now want to get into the world of auto-focusing with them since there are so many times I could use it, primarily when filming wildlife, like deer. So, I was looking into my a99 and a77 today and also read this article, howgreenisyourgarden.wordpress.com/2013/02/03/sony-alpha-video-part-1/, which has some awesome tips and tricks to get more out of your auto focus. I am still left with a couple questions though.

In video mode, what is the best "Focus" mode to select in order to get a continuous focus and a tracking focus when following say, a deer, as it walks around in a field? Or even when following someone as they walk around in a shot? I heard that these cameras are supposed to do great with tracking, but I am not sure what the right settings and modes are to accomplish this. By the way, I am currently set up in Manual mode under video with my lenses set at Auto with peaking on in the menu, using the AF/MF button to override and show peaking in auto focus. I currently have my "Focus" mode set to AF-C, but have absolutely no idea what the other AFs mean, although I would love it if you guys could explain them to me and their uses! I have Googled everywhere with no luck! I have heard that AF-D is supposed to be awesome, but not sure if it works in video or not, or even exactly what it does. I also have AF area set to Wide and Object Tracking set to On, with the Face Detect also on.

Anybody willing to explain these options to me and which would be the best for continuous auto-focusing? I have a turkey hunt I am filming for a client coming up next week and will be using DSLR's as the primary camera for the first time over my dedicated video camera, AX2000, and would love to be able to help myself focus on those turkeys as best as possible!

Thanks.

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow