ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vaccam
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
Help with difficult lighting situation
6 months ago

All,

I am volunteering with my local church during their Easter presentation. I will be taking pictures of the final dress rehearsal next Tuesday evening. They seem to love very bright and intense flood lights and lots of smoke. I took about 350 pictures during a recent dress rehearsal as a practice session. Most of the pictures are very usable. However, some of them just have awful lighting. And those happen to be during some of the most dramatic scenes which they would probably like to have.

I have included some of the worst ones here. These are the raw files converted to JPEGs with the only change being reducing the size of the jpeg. I wanted to see if there was anyway to be better prepared for these shots. The lighting changes quite often and without warning and I know I am blowing the red channel way out. I am also including a link to the raw files on Dropbox feel free to download them . If anyone would care to download them and give me some ideas on post processing I would greatly appreciate it. See dropbox link above the files. I have had some success playing with the white balance, the overall exposure, contrast, vibrancy and saturation, but I feel I lose to much of what the production team is trying to achieve.

I am using a D800 with 80-200mm lens on a tripod and PP in Lightroom 5, I shot these with the Auto WB 2 setting.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael

File 1

File 2

File 3

File 4

I can fix this by setting the WB to 50,000 and lots of other adjustments, but it looks flat.

I know this picture is slanted very badly, but it is a good example of the issue. Red and blues.

Vaccam's gear list:Vaccam's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow