Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BrokenPine
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Sony Alpha Codecs
8 months ago

Ok, so I know that this is primarily a photography forum, but I am running into some issues that involve my Alpha cameras and am in need of a little help. I am in the middle of a huge commercial project that I am producing for a large fish stocking company and am doing some heavy color grading with Magic Bullet Looks and am also denoising my shots as well as adding artificial lights, sharpening and so on. Normally, my computer handles this pretty well, but since I am doing so many tweaks, it is finally starting to slow down. Render times are horrendous and I can't get smooth playback without rendering. Now, I have a very suped up PC and am using Adobe Premiere CC. My PC is only using about 50% CPU on avg. while rendering or playing back. My question now is all about the codecs.

I have read where editing DSLR footage, especially h.264 or AVCHD, such as the Alpha cameras produce, that it is often better to change the codecs of the files before uploading in the editing program. People mentioned using things like Apple Pro-Res. Now, I am in very unfamiliar territory with all of that and have absolutely no idea what the right move would be. If, in fact, this is slowing down my PC during the edit, then would it be wise to change the codec? And if so, could you recommend me to the best software or program to do it with? I do have the entire Adobe Suite, so if there is a program with Adobe that does it, that would be awesome. Lastly, will it affect my footage in a negative way? I apologize for the many questions, but I am under a huge deadline and I will never make it at this rate. Any input will help. Please do not go crazy with too much technical jargon either, as you will likely lose me pretty fast! Just some way that I can understand what to do to help me get the best results possible and not take 7 years to render. Thanks guys!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow