ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cchen2
Contributing MemberPosts: 795Gear list
Like?
RX10 + $39 Neewer TT560 flash = works!
7 months ago

Hi folks,

I had asked about this combo on another thread but no one replied so I figured that there wasn't much experience with it out there. While I had done my flash bounce hack before, I wasn't getting consistent results with it when I trying it recently, so I had been looking at other flash options. The Sony flashes are good, but very expensive, especially for someone like me who doesn't use flash often. I primarily wanted a flash so I could bounce light off the ceiling or to the sides and the Neewer TT560 is $39, or about 1/10 the price of the Sony HVL-F43M which is no doubt a better flash.  It gets generally good reviews and Amazon has a generous return policy so I was like, what the heck, why not.

In a word, the flash is a remarkable bargain.  First off, no adapter is needed to connect it to the camera.  I mistakenly thought that I'd need the ADPMAA adapter to convert from a generic flash to the flash connection- you don't.  I'll be returning mine to Amazon- a $5 mistake.

Secondly, the flash does not have TTL- it is a manual flash.  This means it will not adjust for you how powerful it should flash.  Since I have no experience with this, it has been a matter of trial and error for me.  If I were shooting in a controlled scene, it would be no trouble adjusting from shot to shot.  For 1/10 the price, I'll make due.

I've discovered that in order to get shutter speed correct, it is better to shoot in "S" mode, since the camera does not detect that there is a flash, so when I was shooting in "A" in ISO 125, it was trying to make the shutter speed 1/15, which was more than I wanted or needed.

I love that I can rotate the head of the flash- the equivalent on the Nikon range that I used before would have cost me $330 for that privilege.  It makes shooting in portrait mode so much more effective.   The flash is not super heavy but seems well built and does not throw off the balance of the camera at all.  There is a wide angle diffuser attached and reflection board attached as well.  I don't really know what they do but they sound useful.

Hopefully, with light use, this flash will last for many years.  And the delightful thing is, God forbid even if I break it, it was only $39.  Really can you beat that?

hope this helps someone,
Mike

flashing upwards

to the side

a light fill flash

-- hide signature --

Just one life, twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last

cchen2's gear list:cchen2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow