Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Ki
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183
Like?
HX400v Filter to lens threads
5 months ago

I've run into something that may be an issue depending on the filters used.

I use Cokin filters on the cokin adapter which is mounted on the lens via various size filter thread flange type mounts. My Sony HX400 lens retracts into the outer lens barrel, and it retracts a bit further into the barrel so that the screw on filter/adapter causes a problem when turning the camera back on. The lens jams up and won't extend.

I also have a variable ND filter that I will be using on this camera, but it has 77mm threads, so it will need a step up adapter, and I don't know if it will jam up the lens.

Luckily I dug into my bag of misc adapter stuff, and I found a step up adapter from 55-62mm which has an outside diameter which does not jam up the lens in the outer barrel. It's the only adapter I had in that range which has a diameter which fits inside the camera's outer lens barrel. Maybe a step up from 55-58 might even be smaller and less likely to jam up the lens when it retracts. I don't know.

Just a heads up if you have filters that might cause problems with the lens extension.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Latest Vimeo videos
https://vimeo.com/album/2818274

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow