Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ajff
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Firmware question re RAW output- a77, a700
6 months ago

Bought the a77 immediately upon release with the original firmware whatever it was. I've never made enough time to process RAWs even though I saved them all over the years since the F828, R1 etc... Now that they are all reasonably chronologically organised & keyworded (acdsee), I am about to jump into adobe-land and process some of my favourites.

Believe there have been a couple of a77 firmware updates that I installed.

My question is this:

Is the RAW information in the files taken with original v0.x firmware the same as the RAW info contained in files taken with the latest update?

What I mean is, & forgive me if I'm obtuse, does the firmware only process the sensor's RAW output (hard wired in sensor) or does firmware treat the way the camera's sensor produces the original RAW file itself ?

In practical terms, I'm asking if a RAW file produced by my a77 in 2011 with the original firmware is inherently inferior to a RAW produced yesterday with the most recent version?

Is the camera's RAW output unchangeable or does the firmware juggle all the camera's "innards"?

I know this really doesn't affect anything but it's been a recurring thought !

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

A.J.
Have Fun Taking Pictures!

ajff's gear list:ajff's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +10 more
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow