Switching from D7100 to D600 for $140, worth it?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
9ck
9ck
Contributing MemberPosts: 521Gear list
Like?
Re: Switching from D7100 to D600 for $140, worth it?
In reply to rexet, 8 months ago

rexet wrote:

Hi all,

I'm currently equiped with a great D7100 that I really enjoy daily.

I have the opportunity to sell it and get a second-hand D600 by adding $140 "only".

The main reasons I'm willing to make the switch are:

- I just have 2 prime lens today, a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX and a Nikon 85mm f/1.8 G FX. Since I plan to bought more lenses I have the feeling it will be a better move to invest directly in FX ones instead of changing them all when I will make the switch to FX.

- My main photography activities are indoor shots (parties with friends, family meeting, new born babies, etc.) and I know that the better ISO of D600 will be a powerfull benefits for that usage.

Do you think it would be a good move? Should I'll wait for the next FX generation (I kind of lack the D7100 AF system on the D600).

Thank you for your smart advise.

R.

Hi R!
I recently upgraded from D7100 to D610. My experience is as everyone will tell you - the cost of the body is small compared to the costs connected with upgrading your lenses. Of course you could upgrade and just settle for a few primes. If you upgrade you could get the very inexpensive 50mm 1.8G that will do what your 35mm 1.8 DX does today. But you "really enjoy" your D7100 so unless you really miss something why the upgrade? The ISO performance of the D600 is marginally better that the D7100 (1 - 2 stops) so be carefull not to expect too much here. The real difference is the dynamic range, depth of field IMO.

Concerning the D600. Has the previous owner experienced spots on the censor? Has the shutter been exchanged at Nikon? And yes - if you upgrade you need to accept not having that very nice 51-point AF system that the D7100 comes with (I'm really missing this in my D610 - and this could actually push me back to the D7100). For kids and familly events the AF of the D7100 is more snappy than the AF-system in the D610.

Don't wait for the next generation - evolution will not stop and I wouldn't bet my money on that the D620 or D??? will have a 51 point AF system ( not long ago I was asking about if it was the right timing to get the 24-70mm so it's always easy to be the one who answers the questions )

-- hide signature --

Regards 9ck

9ck's gear list:9ck's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow