Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
teamnowak
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Help me choose: Olympus E-M10 or Panasonic GX7
6 months ago

I’m looking to buy my first “good” camera. I’ve done most of the work and have it narrowed down to these two: Olympus E-M10 or the Panasonic GX7. My criteria:

- Based on price, feature set, aesthetics, and other factors I am only considering these two models. Please keep the discussion to the advantages and disadvantages of ONLY these two. I considered lots of other brands or models, but for me, both of these came out ahead. Now I just need to pick one.  I know I will be happy with either, but I may be a little bit "happier" with one over the other.

- I recently cleaned out my entire photo library and came to the conclusion that I need to take more video. I will not be doing a lot *with* the video per se, I just want more home movies of my kids to store away for 10 years and watch. From all accounts the Panasonic outperforms the Olympus (and most others) on video performance. But I haven’t really seen a comparison that says why. In fact, reviews will say that the Oly has image stabilization that works during video recording and the Panny does not. So I’m confused about what would be better for ME.

- Both of my kids play sports and I would like to start capturing some of the action. I will never be the parent out there with some huge camera setup or anything, but I would like to get some good action shots. They play outdoor sports during the day.

- Based on an experience (a long time ago) with a bad Panasonic point and shoot, my preference leans towards the Olympus, BUT if the Panny truly is better at video and taking action shots, I might have to go that way.

Any help is appreciated. Also any suggestions on a good, reasonably priced lens for use for sports would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow