ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dervast
Contributing MemberPosts: 943
Like?
So stuck with pocketable Cameras. See my selection
8 months ago

Dear all,

I am still fighting to find my next jacket-pocket camera and I wanted to share with you my current list so to allow you to comment on my thoughts. Please see the above as a friendly discussion with coffee where one share what he thinks and get feedback back.

My list looks like that, with the prices listed being typical second-hand price

lumix-lx7: 240 euros

A bit pricey camera, but is considered a decent one with very good optics. Slightly smaller than the xz-2 but also slightly less zoom range (the bit extra might be needed for some portraits and better subject separation). I like that I have very nice interface

xz-2: 200 euros

Cheaper than the lx7 with the feeling that gives the same quality like the lx7. Perhaps slightly better but this depends on the taste too. Nice interface too and price looks more right to my taste. Slightly larger zoom range but also slightly slower lens

xf1: 150 euros

Actually this was top in my list for some time. Very nice price!!! Quality looks good but I can not really verify if it would be better or worse than the lx7 and the xz2. Is even better pocketable which is always nice feature. Very nice interface and customization given the limitations of the size. I am though concerned that the camera starts pretty fast when wide open but slows down a lot when zoom is used which I do not know how it will affect in reality the quality of the images and the dof (yes it will increase iso but how bad shots would like?)

x10: 230 euros

okay this one. Hmm similar to xf1 but with faster optics. Looks an older camera than the other listed but performance looks better than the three above. That is what dxomarks also say with this camera scoring higher in dynamic range and iso performance for example

j1: 180 euros with kit lens

I was surprised by the quality of the images I saw from this camera. I liked the extra larger sensor that delivers very good quality and I still managed to have it on my pocket with its size. What I do not like though is that this camera does not have good customization and everything has to be used in auto mode. Changing iso requires going deep to menus. Does not have live histogram does not support manual focus.

Please feel free to join this coffee table discussion with the next round of coffee on me

Enjoy

Alex

P.S The reason I am asking I am trying to justify inside me which cameras should stay out of my list and then go and buy one that I have a good offer on the second-hand market.

Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow