Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard Murdey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,549Gear list
Like?
"intents and purposes"
8 months ago

That's the phrase that came to mind looking at a quick test comparison between my D40 and D600: "For all intents and purposes, the output here is the same."

No, I'm not going to run out and sell my D600, but all the same I was struck by how similar the result came out to, and I'm sure could equalize it even further with a bit of saturation/contrast tweaking.

For all the talk of resolution, dynamic range, signal to noise, sensor size blah blah blah... a lot of the time, its not actually doing much for you in terms of meaningful, visible results.

D40, Sigma 30mm F1.4 HSM

D600, AFS50mmF1.8G

*D600 is at ISO400, vs. ISO200 for the D40, but honestly it won't change the output significantly either way. Also, yes, the D600 is nicer output, no question in my mind... though some of that has to go down to the Nikkor 50/1.8. Since I've come this far, I should try this test again but normalizing the DOF...

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D40 Pentax K10D Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +7 more
Nikon D40 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow