Resolution, pixel density and lenses: D800 vs. D610

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
danielbw
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Re: Resolution, pixel density and lenses: D800 vs. D610
In reply to TQGroup, 6 months ago

TQGroup wrote:

Regarding the issue of "over resolve", and considering you already have a bag full of very good glass, my I suggest you go over to DxOMark and see how your existing lenses compare on the D610 and D800 sensors...

I already did. According to dxo, most of these lenses perform 'slightly' better on the D800. But the difference is very marginal and the dxo results come from testing environments, of course. My specific needs may differ a lot. So, I use these testing numbers as a serious reference, then I try to factor in some other aspects.

You may find that for some lenses, their relative performance is very similar, on others the D800 sensor can draw out a lot more performance, eg the Nikon 200 F2 VRII.

As to AF, I have a D7100 and a D600 and my shooting style has no problem with either AF system. However, the D800 AF is definitely better in low light.

I chose the D600 because, to me, it is a better "all rounder" for the features and performance I need. Yet, my shutterbug mates chose D800s. Given your stated experience, it should not be difficult to draw up a brief list of features you need and quickly decide your best "compromise" option. Unfortunately, the "best" camera does not exist and probably never will ... Good luck with your call!

Could you please elaborate a bit more on the reasons you chose the D600? Specially regarding DR. I'm very interested to hear other people's experience with it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow