Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
iudex
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Sharpest lens I ever had
3 months ago

I was looking for a medium telephoto lens I can use mostly for portraits, the search was quite wide from tiny 70mm Pentax Limited to huge 70-200mm Tamron. Because of the size and weight I cut out the Tamron, leaving only primes in consideration. The Sigma 85mm/1,4 was out of my reach, so there were primes like Sigma 105mm Macro, Tamron 90 mm Macro, Pentax 70mm, 77mm and 100 mm Macro. Out of these the Pentax lenses had the best reviews so the question was: shorter, but a bit faster and extremely compact 70 mm Limited, or longer 100 mm with macro ability? Because of great sharpness results in reviews I finally chose the 100 mm. And I do not regret it at all. It´s brilliantly sharp, by far the sharpest lens I ever had (either Pentax or third party lenses). Contrast, bokeh, distortion, vignetting: everything is great. And also the size is surprisingly small (the bulk on the pictures is made mostly by the lens hood, the lens itself is quite small and slim), despite being made of metal and being weather-sealed. And the price is also an advantage, only the Tamron 90mm Macro was cheaper, all the others were slightly (70mm Limited) or considerably (77 mm) more expensive.

Of course no lens is perfect: the biggest issue of this lens (as well as other screw-driven Pentax lenses) is the AF speed and noise. When trying to acquire focus, it is quite slow and very noisy, definitely not suitable for wedding photos in church. It also hunts focus sometimes. However for a portrait and macro lens speed is not crucial.

All in all an almost perfect lens and one of the best medium-telephoto (and macro) primes you can get for Pentax.

iudex's gear list:iudex's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
iudex's score
Average community score
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow