Moving on from bridge cameras to...? Help!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
emeybee
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Moving on from bridge cameras to...? Help!
6 months ago

Hello,

A little background. I need a camera for travel-- landscapes/buildings, people and sometimes sports (but purely as a spectator not a pro). My pictures are here for reference:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emeybee/sets/

I had posted in the Panasonic compact forum last week asking about the ZS40 vs the FZ200. I had the FZ200 and was considering the ZS40 for the convenience of the smaller size. I got the ZS40 but didn't like it (blown highlights, smeared details) so returned it. I thought about the Sony HX50V, but the more sample images I looked at the more I realized I probably wouldn't be happy with that either. So after some thinking I've decided that if I'm going to carry a large camera I might as well get better image quality for it. So now I'm looking at getting my first "serious" camera. Which leads me to posting here for your advice.

So a little about my needs/wants:

- I've had about 4 hours total photography instruction in my life. Ideally I'll get better at the PASM settings, but right now it's not intuitive to me and I feel like I'm spending half my day staring at a camera screen instead of enjoying the place I'm in. So 99% of the time I leave my cameras on Auto. Sacrilege around here I'm sure, but nevertheless I need a camera with a good Auto mode. Hopefully as I learn more it will become a security blanket more than a crutch.

- Features: I want GPS, good panorama stitching, and a good handheld burst mode for night. I don't care about WIFI or NFC, or the Instagram-style modes.

- Lens: I am coming from super zooms but obviously will not get the same range with one interchangeable lens. I'll most likely be getting a 18-250ish lens as an all-in-one, because, again, I don't want to be lugging a bunch of gear around Rwanda. I know the quality will suffer compared to other lenses but it will still be a marked improvement over a bridge camera, yes?

- Image quality: I care about exposure and how the photo will look on a large computer monitor. I'm not concerned with how the pixels look at 100%, but since I'm losing the zoom range I may do more cropping than I otherwise would have. I use Lightroom and don't mind doing PP, so tone/saturation are less important to me since they can be adjusted once I'm home.

- Budget: Nothing crazy, under $1500 total, ideally less (I don't mind buying used).

So that's about it.

I had all but decided on a Sony a65, but then I read that the a77 has weather sealing, which makes me nervous that the a65 might act up in some of the crazy places I travel to. But I'm a little afraid that the a77 will be shockingly large/heavy, so I keep going back and forth. My reasons for settling on Sony are that I think they're a little more geared toward amateurs like myself, and I know from experience that Sony's panorama mode works really well. But I can certainly be talked out of it if there's a better camera brand for me. I had also looked at the A6000 coming out, but unfortunately it doesn't have GPS. Otherwise it would have been pretty perfect.

Anyway, any suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow