Disapointed in my Df.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,199Gear list
Like?
Re: OP is comparing TAMRON vs NIKON lens
In reply to Shotcents, 8 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

The biggest problem isn't the limited coverage of the focus system - it's its effectiveness in low light. Although rated down to -1EV, the performance of the Df's focus drops off significantly at even moderate indoor lighting levels. Even at an illumination level of around 4.5EV, we've found the camera has to 'hunt' to find focus, and the only reliable way of getting a shot was to use the central focus point to focus-and-recompose from a high-contrast point.

As many owners have pointed out, this is utter nonsense. In indoor low light conditions I can detect virtually no difference between the D800 and DF focus speed and accuracy.

I have posted VERY low light tests on low contrast subjects lit by a single bulb. I really had to work to find the AF limits of both cameras.

HOWEVER, do re-read what DPreview is saying. They're not comparing the central points of both cameras. They're comparing the SPREAD of points and that is indeed where the Df lags. Using the central point on the Df provides excellent results.

Not from my experience last Friday night. AF-C, single point, center point, AF priority set to focus. Only when I set the Df to AF-S to get the red AF illuminator from the flash to light did it focus lock.

But I NEVER use anything but the central point on my D800/Df in poor light as it will limit either camera. Why would I do that in poor light?

The Df is not a "kitchen sink" type of camera. It's not loaded up with every feature. Yet it provides IQ and low light ability along with engaging operation that has won over many shooters. At this point it's a mystery to me that some folks haven't caught onto this, even if they're not included in that group.

My Df is my #1 camera most of the time and the D800 sits in the case. It's simply more fun to shoot with, less to carry, quieter, better in low light and works with zero fuss on every lens without AF tuning. What else is there to say?

Robert

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow