Resolution, pixel density and lenses: D800 vs. D610

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: Resolution, pixel density and lenses: D800 vs. D610
In reply to calson, 5 months ago

calson wrote:

First a word of caution. If you don't like the autofocus system of the D7100 you will be even less happy with the D610 or the D800e. I have the D7100 and D800e and the D7100 focuses faster and is much better with low light low contrast situations.

I do not know about the d610 but the D800 af is far superior to the 710 for apeed and low light.

I can produce a great 20x30 print with my D3 files and they have two thirds the resolution of the D610 and half that of the D800e. Understand that the larger the print the greater the normal viewing distance and so the less resolution that is needed most of the time. Billboards are printed at 110ppi for example.

it depends on what you are printing. For some 12 mp is enough (and the D3 / s produce superb results) but for many more than 12 mp is a significant benefit. Sometimes you want to view detail on a large print from closer than 'normal'viewing distance.

Where the D800 helps is in a situation where I felt the need to use only a quarter of the scene and wanted to enlarge it to make a very large print - something I can never recall ever having the need or desire to do.

The D800 will make more apparent any shortcomings of lenses used with it and this includes CA. But it is a moot point really as you are going to be using the same lenses with either the D610 or the D800.

Ca will not show more, and be more correctable. Softness will only be more apparent when zoomed in to 100% and the size image would look like mush on a lower res camera. this is a misleading argument. Many modern and many older  lenses look superb at 100%  on a d800. The pixel density is actually lower than the 7100 so will show better results

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow