Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,664Gear list
Like?
How about a premium (not pro) kit zoom?
5 months ago

Who here would be interested in a premium µ4/3 "kit" zoom in the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 range? You know, built to the 12-40mm or 12-35mm standards for image quality and construction, sans weather sealing?

I would be very interested in such a lens in a metal body (or robust plastic) with sharp contrasty images pretty much across the framefrom wide open. Minimal, not necessarily zero, software correction. The reason I'm suggesting this is that I'd like a high quality kit zoom that is not as large as the f/2.8 jewels, and maybe coming in at $500-$600 or cheaper. Right now we seem to have "pro" and "rubbish" (my term!) or, if you prefer, "consumer".  There is nothing in between that I can think of. The Lumix 14-45 seems to come the closest. The M.Zuiko 12-50mm doesn't make the cut in my book.

I'm thinking like a Fuji 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 sort of lens. Or like the better copies of the ZD 14-54mm lens for 4/3 (it was/is known for sample variations).

Or maybe the lens I seek exists in the form of the ZD 14-54mm MkII with adapter? At least, as long as size is not a factor.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow